|Earlier feasibility work identified both a biodiversity case and a business case for the Kijani Project. |
The biodiversity case for Kijani builds on the widespread recognition that huge challenges face biodiversity conservation throughout Africa. Protected area systems at best cover only 10% of the rural landscape. The remaining 90% of the rural landscape is essentially un-protected and un-funded and its biodiversity is under even greater threat. It is in Africa's un-protected, but productive rural landscape, where most rural economic activity occurs. It is in this vast productive landscape where biodiversity objectives need to be aligned with rural business objectives.
The business case for Kijani builds on earlier feasibility studies. A solid pipeline of investment opportunities was identified demonstrating the potential for biodiversity and financial performance at sustainable rates of return. The studies also identified an unmet hard-currency demand for African biodiversity goods and services, particularly from Europeans. And they identified an unmet demand for technical assistance and risk capital appropriate to the needs of biodiversity SMEs in rural Africa.